50 Universal Steps Of How To Write A Blog- Make Every Blog Post Count
Starting your own blog is a matter of seconds these days. So, everyone gets a blog to share their expertise, ideas or point of views.
However, very few understand how to write a blog post that can impress people.
Blog writing is not about adding large chunks of sentences on a page. There is a huge blogging market out there. You need to establish a unique place, so people don’t forget you easily.
Every blog post has to have certain elements of presentation that impress readers as well as search engines.
So, if you are thinking about starting blog writing, check out:
How to write a blog post categories
How to choose a profitable blog niche?
- Find your expertise: Make a fine list of blogging ideas that match your area of interest. Whether you want to write a travel blog or desire to create a personal blog?! All these questions are important in the initial stage of blog writing. Give yourself freedom to add 10, 20 or maybe 30+ niches. You can short this list down later.
- Know your competition: Make a separate list of top 5 competitors in every blogging niche you have chosen. This will give you a chance to learn blogging and prepare for potential competition at the same. See what kind of content pieces are making them successful. Also, understand their promotional and marketing tactics.
- Look for a market gap: While you are analyzing competitors, look for a market gap. A market gap is a lack of excellence that you can fill with your expertise. This is the part when you generate uniqueness in your blog writing. Read more and more blog posts and shortlist niches that have high demand but low-quality blogs to read.
- Think long-term success scope: You will be writing posts for years, hence, long-term scope of the niche matters. Even if you are starting a personal blog, think about how you want to present yourself in the long run. A dedicated housewife, a mother, a traveler or any other category. Choose categories that are evergreen and allow you to stay fresh every time you sit down to write a blog post.
Combine all the above-mentioned steps to short down your list of niches to top 5. Then, ask yourself how to write a blog post for every niche. Judge your writing ability and topical knowledge and align with success scope. This will help you choose a perfect blog niche.
How to create unique blog ideas?
- Understand your audience: Analyze what and how your audiences like to read. Internet already has all kinds of blog posts about everything. But different audiences like different bloggers in the same niche. So, blog topic generation is more about presenting information in a unique way. Cover topics that excite your target audiences.
- Match topics with your blog niche: It is obvious but really important that your blog writing stays within your niche. Every time you are selecting a topic for blog post, find a niche-focused idea.
- Focus on trends: Research is a big part of life as a blogger. Tools such as BuzzSumo, Google Trends, and forums like Quora will keep you connected with the hot topics in your niche. Use these tools to make yourself aware of the trends and create fresh content for maximum outreach.
- Look into competitors’ posts: Read your competitors’ blog posts as if you are having a conversation. Understand what those posts convey and present similar topics with your point of view added to it. Make sure you are not copying their idea, but getting inspired to create your own post. It is important that you respect others’ work if you want them to respect yours.
- Pick topics from social media: A wide range of blog traffic comes from social media. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and even LinkedIn have become ultimate content marketing grounds for bloggers. Just type your core blog idea and search for most-shared topics on social media.
Without in-depth topic research, you can never understand how to write a blog post. So, combine trends, competition, social media and your audiences’ interests to pick successful topics for every post. Make sure you stay ready for your next post before the current one ends.
How to prepare for SEO blog writing?
- Find relevant keywords: Choose keywords that are RELEVANT to your topic. Not as easy as it sounds! Sometimes keywords can be so interconnected that they confuse you. So, you should conduct a thorough keyword research to have a huge list available. Use Google Keyword Planner and other paid tools to find keywords. This leads us to the next important SEO step.
- Evaluate SERPs: Type your keywords into Google Search one-by-one to get SERPs. Now, evaluate the top 10 results to find out- used keywords, dominating user intent, length of content pieces, and authority of domains. You can use MozBar to find domain authority. Don’t skip user intent analysis as knowledge of user intention helps a lot in keyword and content SEO.
- Arrange keywords is decreasing order of importance: Now, here are the most important blog SEO tips you need to remember- Divide your keywords’ list into two categories. One category will contain your core keyword. You can choose one or more core keywords depending on the length and concept of your blog post. Then, in another category, you can add all the assisting keywords such as longtails and LSIs. Core keywords will obtain more frequency in a post, while assisting keywords will empower subheadings and anchor texts.
Pre-post SEO sets the foundation on how to write a blog post. You become aware of competitor content pieces and obtain keywords to send correct signals to search engines.
How to write blog post titles?
- Simple words, strong emotions: Write down the core message of your blog post in one sentence. Focus on benefits rather than the features of that post. This will allow you to write a rough title for your blog.
- Combine SEO and promotional traits: Adjust title in a way that core keyword appears at the beginning. Along with that, pick interesting adjectives to make that title look appealing. This blog writing tip will prepare your post to shine on search engines as well as social media.
- Follow popular title formats: Some title formats never go out of fashion. You can choose among “Top tips…”, “How to…”, “Secrets to..”, and others. But, make sure that the selected format is capable of highlighting your content idea.
- Keep it crisp: With keywords and adjectives, your title may look too long in the beginning. So, it is important to finish post title with editing. Try different ways of writing until you achieve a crisp form.
A perfect blog post title includes SEO properties and promotional traits in a crisp manner. This is the most important part of how to write a blog post. Your CTR, rankings, and social shares depend on how engaging your post title is. So, follow the mentioned steps to present your post with a dazzling title.
How to create a blog outline?
- Write down your post concepts: Use your topic and keyword research to create concepts you desire to cover. Remember your competitors when doing this. You have to do better than posts in targeted SERP.
- Develop comprehensiveness: A comprehensive post is the one with all associated concepts explained thoroughly. However, it is impossible to explain a topic thoroughly in one post. So, you need to carefully select concepts that clear the idea of what you are trying to say. Classify your topic into genuinely helpful concepts that people look answers for.
- Arrange in increasing order of complexity: You have to explain every concept in a systematic manner. Start by explaining definitions and introductions. Then, move towards different segments that are more complex. This way of blog writing makes your post easily understandable for readers.
- Connect every concept with the previous one: Every subheading should incorporate the knowledge of previous one. Use what you have already explained to prove your current point. Also, set a foundation for the next subheading as well. This will create an interconnection in every subheading you write.
- End with a call-to-action: Think about what you need from your readers. Do you want them to engage via comments?! Or, want them to share your content on social media! Ask for it in the end. The right way of creating CTA is to blend it with a purpose. For example, you can write- “Share this knowledge with your colleagues and friends to help them out.”
Along with that, use longtails and LSIs to make your subheadings effective in terms of Blog SEO. Practice with more and more writing. Eventually, you will get a hold on how to write a blog post with a comprehensive outline.
Tips for writing a blog introduction
- Highlight a Problem: Highlighting a problem gets you the attention of readers. You connect via their problems, which creates an interest in the post. Always begin your blog writing by highlighting a problem. For an oven cleaning post, one can write “How difficult it is to clean your oven?!”
- Present scope of Opportunity: After talking about the problem, you can present opportunities to diminish that problem. For the same oven cleaning post, one can say- “Knowing right tools and techniques can make oven cleaning a matter of minutes.” This way, you show your readers a chance to get rid of that problem.
- Offer a Solution: Finally, you present a solution to persuade your reader towards reading the whole post. For oven cleaning post, we can write- “Here are all the resources and tips to help you clean oven on your own.”
You can use single lines like the examples mentioned-above, or multiple paragraphs in the same POS format. Explaining introduction in this given order is essential to know how to write a blog that engages readers from start.
How to prepare your blog post for on-page SEO?
- Drop target keyword in the introduction: Your target keyword needs to appear once in the first 100 words of introduction. Your post title already contains that keyword. You just have to place it in the introduction in an organic way. Don’t make it look like a forceful stuffing. Blend it with overall topic explanation through POS theory.
- Use longtails in subheadings: Long tail keywords work best in subheadings. In fact, they give you better ideas on how to write subheadings. These placements will empower your core keyword and make your post more relevant for targeted positions. However, it is important to not compromise blog writing appeal to fit keywords. Give time and multiple trials to find a correct way to balance subheadings’ appeal with keyword placement.
- Match keyword frequency with post length: For every 1000 words, you can include your target keyword 4 to 5 times. Place in proper intervals, so they don’t occur in one confined area of the blog post.
- Highlight phrases for internal and external linking: Blog writing is the best time when you can easily highlight phrases for internal and external linking. Manual work will allow you to choose suitable anchor text for every link you plan to create, for a post.
Ongoing SEO steps save you from struggling after post completion. This is something that many bloggers miss when thinking about blogging.
General Blog post writing tips
- Keep changing sentence length: Too long sentences are never good for blog writing. The right combination is mixing short sentences with medium-sized sentences. This creates a smooth flow of reading and doesn’t let readers feel bored. However, you don’t have to force this method on yourself. Give this idea some time and let it become a part of your writing style.
- Write in short paragraphs: This one is important for every blogger. A huge traffic comes from mobile devices these days. So, you need to optimize your writing style for those small screens. Write really short paragraphs to ease reading for mobile users. Otherwise, your blog will look like a large chunk of words on mobile phone screens.
- Decide image locations: When you are writing, designate places where you need images and screenshots to explain your point. Highlight what sort of images you want in those particular places. This will help you at the time of image search and selection.
- Avoid passive voice: Active voice writing feels more engaging and effective. You should avoid passive voice completely if possible. However, one or two sentences won’t make a big difference.
- Target long word count: Try crossing at least 2000 word count with every post you create. Most top ranking content pieces have long word counts these days. However, the length is only useful if the topic provides quality content. Hence, choose topics that actually deserve long form post creation.
Follow these general tips on how to write a blog post. It will make every post a meaningful experience for your readers.
How to edit your blog post?
- Re-evaluate post’s intro: Read post’s intro and make sure that you have gotten POS theory perfectly. Eliminate fluff words to make it crisp and simple-to-understand.
- Tighten up subheadings: Go through the subheadings again and see how they feel when reading. Remove any odd sounding word if it doesn’t belong to your keyword. Test and edit subheadings to get a sync between each one of them.
- Add bullet lists: Choose different bullets to highlight steps, tips and other valuable points you have explained. This will upgrade your blog writing format for readers who desire a quick read.
- Bold important phrases: Read your blog copy to find sentences or phrases you want to highlight to readers. Bold them.
- Proofread: Use Grammarly to discover and remove grammar issues. Then, proofread manually to edit sentences that feel odd. Improve adjectives and remove fluff words.
With the mentioned steps, you achieve quality and high readability in a content. This is why every blogger should learn these editing skills to write a blog post in a meaningful manner.
How to create images for blog posts?
- Find meaningful images: Image creation is also an important part of blog writing. You can head to Pixabay for free images with no copyright restrictions. Download images that offer meaning to your blog post topic.
- Customize for your post: After getting those images, you can use your PowerPoint skills to customize them. Use your post title or a tagline to make an image more suitable for your post. Try different fonts and colors to get a perfect image finally.
- Get screenshots: Depending on your topic, you may or may not need screenshots. If required, make sure you crop those screenshots before adding.
- Include in appropriate locations: You have already highlighted places where you want images and screenshots. So, include them in the right locations.
Knowing writing skills is not enough if you can’t create meaningful images. Don’t just add images for the sake of completing a formality. Spend time in selection and customization, so that, you get more social shares and likes.
Completing on-page SEO after post completion
- Write evergreen URL: Use your target keyword and most necessary adjectives such as Tips, Benefits and Advantages in URL creation. Don’t include numbers or current year, as you might want to update your post in future.
- Provide headings tags: Include your post title in H1 heading and subheadings in H2 format. If needed, use H3, H4 and others too. However, try not to create too many headings. It can confuse your readers. Focus on getting a neat look with your heading selection.
- Create click-worthy meta description: Write about 250-320 characters when creating meta description. This would take about 3-4 lines, in which, you should include target keyword. Use meta description as a summary or promotional message for your post. This will help you get high CTR on SERPs.
- Add internal and external links: Writing a blog post is incomplete without internal and external linking. You need to provide value to your post by linking to relevant posts inside and outside of your blog. Create about 4 to 6 external links to authoritative web pages for every 1000 words you write. Also, sprinkle internal links to generate a flow of traffic in your own blog. This way, you can reduce bounce rate to a great extent.
- Optimize images with keywords: Use focus keywords to create ALT text of your images. This optimization step will present more chances of getting found in Google Image searches. Hence, you will receive more traffic from image sources as well.
So, those were the final SEO steps to write a blog post. Every post will become ready in terms of writing quality and SEO if you follow the given steps. Now, you need to know just one more process.
How to automate content promotion?
- Find content promotion tools: You can choose Buffer, Flipboard or any other tool to promote your blog content.
- Schedule your promotion when publishing: At the time of publishing a blog post, you can use a post-scheduling tool to automate your social media promotion.
- Design promotion strategy for coming months: It is a continuous process of promoting that gets you more and more backlinks. You can’t just write a blog and move to another. So, design a strategy to promote your content in coming months. Promote every week on social media during the month of publishing. Then, promote once in 15 days for next 3 months. However, you can modify this strategy according to your audiences’ behavior.
How to use these blog writing steps?!
Now, you know how to write a blog post successfully. Use this article to improve your skills or help your team of bloggers to get better results with an upgraded and effective writing style.