Top 5 Search Engine Ranking Factors With Complete SEO Optimization Guide
Do you get anxious when you see more than 200 Google ranking factors?
Then, you are not alone. There are many website owners looking for much more effective and approachable way of targeting search engine ranking factors.
Finding a more specific and balanced package of ranking factors is what you actually need. And this post gives you the exact recipe prepare your platform for modern day SEO.
Tackle following SEO ranking factors in 2018
1. Content quality
The importance of content in SEO ranking factors should not be a new information for you. However, the perspective of the content has changed a lot now. The relevancy of the content to the targeted keyword has gained importance. Google now don’t just look at the keyword inclusion, but also makes sure that the content offers relevant information in simple language.
The relevancy of the content comes with your ability to provide the information the searcher is seeking with a particular keyword. One great way of achieving relevancy is by writing in a comprehensive manner, i.e. covering each and every detail related to a particular keyword. Something like Wikipedia does on their pages.
There are many surveys backing the importance of long-form content as one of the search engine ranking factors. However, it is critically important to keep the language easy-to-understand.
Factors that are driven by content quality
Content directly affects a few other search engine ranking factors. Some of them are:
- CTR or Click Through Rate
- Dwell time
- Social media shares
How to optimize the content on your website?
a. Analyze your site for thin content
If you have now decided to rethink your content strategy, the first job would be to find the thin content on your website. The thin content is any content that doesn’t offer value to your website.
Follow these simple factors to judge the value of the existing content on your site.
- The content with very little or no search engine traffic.
- Content having low word counts.
- Duplicate content on your site.
- The content with plagiarism issue.
- Content pages with too many broken links.
After finding out all the thin content on your site, you have two options. You can either fix them or get rid of the content for good. The decision depends on how thin is that particular content.
Here are a few tips you can take in order to fix thin content:
- Use Noindex for all the meaningless content.
- Research for keywords that are driving traffic and update the content with them.
- Add LSI words to get enhanced readability scores.
- Make suitable on-page optimization changes for better quality.
- Add the latest information to the old content to improve the quality.
- Use redirection in order to get rid of the duplicate content issue.
b. Create detailed content for every page
You must stop fast forward low-quality content creation. Google is giving importance to the long and detailed content that covers all aspects of a keyword.
You can make the following changes to future content creation strategy for better outcomes:
- Dedicate each page to a fewer number of topics.
- Add your own personal knowledge along with the researched work.
- Make sure that the content has a simple-to-understand language.
- Keep updating the newer knowledge that you gain on the topics.
c. Become an authoritative platform in your sector
Whether you have an online business or a blog, your knowledge and the representation of that knowledge decide your image in your market. Hence, you need to be extremely careful with what your content says about your business.
Here are effective ways to become authoritative in content creation:
- Stay focused on your own niche while creating the content.
- Become the ultimate platform for all the information and knowledge related to your niche.
- Don’t divert your topical focus ever.
- Provide strong pieces of evidence and data in your content for your claims.
- Invite people to question your idea and clear their confusions.
More insights on quality content creation:
- How To Empower Your SEO With Continuous Unique Content
2. Consistency in the site architecture
Consistency in the site architecture improves the user experience. As a result, you can expect the visitors to stay for a longer period. The language used in the web pages, UI factors, the layout, and even the functions on your website should be clearly focused on the one core idea. Resembling consistency with the visuals as well as the actions will allow the visitor to easily navigate the site. Site architecture also covers a variety of search engine ranking factors.
Factors that are driven by the site architecture
- Improved user experience
- Lower bounce rate
- Social media shares
How to increase Google ranking by bringing consistency in the site architecture?
a. Keep the voice consistent
Every website needs to have a voice that can represent the personality of the business. For instance, if you follow a friendly tone to talk to your visitors on one page, don’t suddenly shift to the formal and informative tone on the other page. This can confuse the visitors. Stay clear with the personality you want to create and stick to that in your language.
Here is how to can keep the language consistency throughout your website:
- Decide one suitable language style that suits your business type.
- Use simple synonyms of targeted words throughout the page.
- Appoint one individual to overview every piece of content before the publication.
b. Offer a memorable layout
When it comes to the usability of a website, the layout plays an important role. The visitors tend to memorize the design and the location of multiple elements on your website. But it is only possible if place the elements such as login, content, search box and others effectively. If these factors go too out of the box, it can make the navigation difficult for the visitors.
To keep the attention of the visitor, you need to keep following layout tips in mind:
- Go to the competitors’ websites to analyze the layout trends in your niche.
- List the factors you want to include in your own layout idea.
- Create a balance between the traditional layout and creative layout.
- Provide the search box, navigation, content, and other elements in easy-to-find locations on your website.
c. Make the visuals reliable
Consistent visual elements also help in sending a sense of familiarity to the visitor. The visuals add to the language that you are trying to acquire. There are certain visual styles to convey a friendly tone or a formal one. Multiple factors such as the logo, fonts, backgrounds and others help in visual language.
You can ensure the following things for the consistency in the visual language:
- Go through each and every page on your website.
- Make sure that the logos are suitable for the personality of your business.
- Select suitable backgrounds to effectively convey the core message within a second.
- Carefully decide the fonts that fit effectively with the business as well as the idea you want to convey. For instance, a restaurant business can go with fonts that offer a sense of fun.
Google reads the matching anchor text of your backlinks. This allows Google to add more relevancy score to your content. But that’s not the only goal behind the backlink factor. The number of links and the authoritativeness of those links both matter to Google.
Having the high-quality backlinks from authoritative domains is the goal you need to follow for improved rankings.
Factors that are driven by backlinks
You get to directly improve following search engine ranking factors with high-quality backlinks to your pages:
- Link diversity
- Link authority
- Number of backlinks
How to improve SEO ranking on Google with link building?
a. Generate engaging content
The most authentic way of building links was, is and always will be the quality content creation. If you have a unique point of you and information on relevant topics, your market authoritative sites would love to link to your website.
We have already covered the methods of creating quality content. You just need to follow the tips mentioned in the content section of this article to improve the quality of the content. However, here are a few more tips for additional help:
- Create “how to” content relevant to your niche.
- Generate multiple guides including valuable information.
- Post videos and podcasts on latest industry news.
- If possible, offer ebooks for the target audiences.
b. Promote your content
To become visible, you need to promote your content. Marketing your content requires regular efforts. You need to create a list of target groups such as the loyal readers, industry influencers, social media followers and other groups as well.
When you have a detailed list of your target groups, showcasing your content at right moment becomes the next big task to complete.
Here are a few content promotion tips you can follow:
- Send email notification about the published content to your niche target groups.
- Create SEO optimized social media profiles.
- Participate in the relevant social media conversations and promote your content there.
- Find other authoritative websites in your niche and offer guest posts to them. You can add backlinks to your website via these guest posts.
- Create infographics related to the content on your website and share them on social profiles.
c. Audit the current links
Auditing your current backlinks is also important to ensure that you are building an authoritative and diverse link profile.
Here are a few tips on auditing your backlinks:
- Get a reliable link auditing software.
- Keep an eye on the site's link building SEO and the link quality as well.
- Get rid of the low-quality links by removing or disavowing them.
- Contact your authoritative partners to achieve more quality backlinks.
4. Social signals
The place and importance of social signals as the search engine ranking factors is a matter of discussion theoretically. However, the practical pieces of evidence show that pages with more social shares get better rankings on the search results.
Social signals drive more traffic to your web pages, which ultimately sends positive signals to the search engines. So, if you look at it that way, there is no harm in planning social media marketing to target multiple search engine ranking factors.
Factors that are driven by social signals
- Authority of the social media account
- Number of shares on the social media
- Brand power
- Followers and likes
How to improve your social signals?
a. Research your target audience on social media
To offer quality content on social media, you need to first get insights from there. Your target market is available on social media all the time having conversations. All you need to do is find out their interests, searching habits and other relevant knowledge.
Use following tips to achieve better insights from social media:
- Look at the reviews of your customers on social media to understand their language.
- Use an automated software such as BuzzSumo to find social media discussions on your target keywords.
- Go to Q&A sites to see what questions are being asked in your niche.
- Research the social media pages of your competitors to see how they are communicating.
b. Optimize your social media posts
After getting valuable insights from social media, you should have the right words to add to your posts. Your social media posts also require optimization with keywords that can bring engagement.
With the following tips, you can optimize your social signal SEO ranking factors effectively:
- Conduct a thorough keyword search on the social media.
- Find the relevant words that are getting maximum engagement.
- Use the trending words and phrases in your copy.
- Add a call-to-action to drive traffic to your website.
c. Encourage conversations
More conversations lead more traffic to your official web pages, which ultimately gets you better rankings. Plus, you get to increase the brand awareness to a wider audience. Hence, it becomes important to create engaging content that can drive the conversation on social media.
Keep the following tips in mind to encourage conversations:
- Create posts on trending topics in your niche.
- Inform about the events to your followers.
- Answer the questions on a regular basis.
5. Mobile optimization
Google is in the shifting phase towards mobile-first indexing, which means that Google has started to crawl the mobile versions of websites first. This makes it a necessity to have a website that is optimized for mobile as well.
How to optimize for mobile?
a. Verify your mobile version
First of all, it is important to completely build the mobile version of your website before launching it. With that being said, you need to verify the mobile version of your website by using Google Search Console.
b. Make the mobile version accessible to Google
It is important that your mobile site is visible for the Googlebot. You can do it by using the txt testing tool.
c. Ensure high page speed
You can use the PageSpeed Insights provided by Google to test the speed of your page. Also, there are auditing tools available to find the page errors, uncompressed contents, and other issues. You can them fix the problem and ensure a high speed of each and every page.
The search engine ranking factors have a tendency to evolve. Hence, it becomes important that you keep an eye on the SEO ranking factors and take necessary steps to stay ahead of the competition.