How To Use Yoast Plugin For Successful WordPress SEO Every Day
For some people, WordPress is a way to market their business in the digital world. While for some, it provides the ability to express their opinion and share their personal experiences. But one common question among all the users is-
How to SEO WordPress?!
The platform helps hundreds of thousands of people to have an online presence for their own agendas. And WordPress SEO serves the purpose of technical optimization for better site performance in the digital world.
Yoast plugin becomes your personal associate to handle the search engine optimization of every post you create for your website. That’s why this plugin has gotten immense admiration from various SEO experts as well as WordPress site owners.
After installing and setting up the plugin, you need to use the offered features on a daily basis in order to prepare your content for the search engine ranking factors as well as audience engagement.
This article has all the details regarding Yoast SEO best practices for successful use of the plugin on a regular basis.
Best features of WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin
To gain the maximum advantage, you need to understand the best features that come along with this plugin.
1. Content and page analysis for SEO
The content has to have all the technical aspects of SEO that the search engines admire. But it becomes difficult to follow all the technicalities when you are writing your content piece. Here comes your plugin associate to analyze all the technical aspects of content creation. The available report and signals work as your WordPress SEO tips that you can use to improve the content quality.
There are two sections provided for the content and page analysis. One offers the evaluation of content’s readability, while the other provides an SEO report according to the focus keyword that you enter.
Here are the valuable properties of this feature:
- Analysis of the sentence and paragraph length
- Ensuring the subheading availability in the content
- Content readability checks
- Presence of focus keyword in the right locations in the content
- Evaluation of image and multiple types of link availability
2. Automatic XML Sitemap creation
With a single click at the time of setting up the plugin, you can get complete XML Sitemaps for your site. The feature works automatically and informs the search engines about the availability of the Sitemaps. So, you don’t have to worry about the creation of the Sitemaps. But it is possible to customize or delete them if you desire.
3. Breadcrumbs for effective navigation creation
The navigation helps the search engine to see the internal network of your website. That compatibility becomes extremely easier with the breadcrumbs offered by this plugin. You get to use the breadcrumbs to provide an easily understandable navigation of your site.
4. Social sharing data
The social sharing data allows you to create social posts with SEO friendly information regarding the content you are publishing. The data filling merely takes seconds, which allows you to save time for the more complex content marketing processes.
The plugin uses different signals and reports to tell you about the quality of content at the time of publishing. You can make necessary changes according to these reports and fill other data to maintain high levels of SEO for WordPress website that you have.
Important limitations to know about Yoast SEO
Knowing just the advantages of this SEO plugin is not enough. It is extremely important that you know about the limitations of the Yoast plugin to have a strong grip on the SEO of your website.
Here are all the limitations that you need to care about when using this plugin.
1. No keyword research assistance
Apart from suggesting keyword tools such as Google Trends, Google Keyword Planner, and others, Yoast plugin doesn’t offer any data assistance for keyword research. The fact that the SEO optimization starts after you enter your focus keyword makes keyword research your own burden. This is why you need to rely on other SEO tools in order to gather the volume and competition associated data for keyword targeting.
2. No grammar analysis
Though the plugin offers a report of sentence type, paragraph length and readability, there is no report provided for grammatical errors. As the quality of your content also depends on the grammar, you definitely need a tool to avoid the grammatical errors in your posts.
3. No help for duplicate content
Duplicate content is a critical factor to care about for your website’s SEO. Both internal and external duplication leads to lowering your rankings and even getting penalized in the worst scenarios.
Though Yoast SEO for WordPress provides measures to resolve the duplicate content issues in its premium version, the initial checks are not possible. So, you need to have an extra tool to check the duplication as well as plagiarism in your content.
Additional tools required for daily SEO purpose
It is clear now that Yoast plugin has a few limitations along with the vast range of SEO help. Hence, the best approach would be to combine this plugin with other tools in order to create a perfect SEO-friendly scenario for your website.
Here are all the additional tools that we would suggest you, for the WordPress tips for SEO.
1. Grammarly- For grammar check
Grammarly is exceptionally reliable when it comes to checking grammar mistakes in your documents. There are different versions of this tool available for Google Chrome, Microsoft Office and for Windows as well.
The free, as well as premium versions, are available, which gives you the option. Of course, you will attain better accuracy and assistance with the premium version. However, the free version also works fine. You should just give the content a quick look along with the tool check if you are using the free version.
2. Copyscape- For duplicate content analysis
To resolve the issues of duplicate content and plagiarism, you can rely on CopyScape. It is extremely effective in terms of accuracy. Plus, you get to check content pieces without paying any amount. However, the premium version would be much better, as you need to check contents’ originality on a regular basis.
When you use the content checker for the duplicate content, the results will come with the highlighted copied content along with the link addresses of the source sites. You will also get a percentage value of the copied content.
3. Siteliner- For internal duplicate content analysis
Siteliner is perfect to ensure that the content is not already available on your own site. It provides you an idea of the percentage of internal duplicate content. However, the tool is also used to attain various other insights about your site, such as broken links, page load speed and much more.
Like all other tools, this one also has free as well as premium versions. However, the free version offers enough information, so you don’t have to worry about paying here. Unless you require more than the limitation of 250 pages and a period of 30 days.
Important note- Siteliner counts all the texts available on each web page, including the sidebar and top bar content as well. So, when you see the percentage result for the duplicate content on your site, don’t get too concerned. Compare the results for each page, then, come to the conclusions.
4. Google Trends, Google Keyword Planner, SEMRush- For keyword research
As Yoast SEO for WordPress doesn’t help you with keyword research, you need other tools to conduct the job. The keyword targeting requires you to have the knowledge of popularity, volume, and the associated competition. Though there are many tools available, the combination of these three would be the best for you.
The idea behind using three tools instead of one is to have a broad understanding of the keywords. Different tools follow their own approach to provide results. So, when you align the details obtained from all three, the selected keywords brings much better results.
After learning the use of the above-mentioned tools, you are now ready to ensure the best SEO for WordPress.
WordPress SEO optimization guide using Yoast
Aligning your own intelligence with the features of the mentioned tools is the best way to approach WordPress SEO.
Let’s go through all the steps along with the Yoast SEO tips that will help you create high performing content, without any technical mistakes.
1. Find the perfect keywords
After deciding the topic that you want to write about, you need to look for the relevant keywords. While Google Trends will provide the idea of the trending topics, SEMRush and Google Keyword Planner will help in learning the competition and the volume associated with the keywords.
Here is how you can select your keywords:
- Write the core idea of your topic in two, three words on Google Trends.
- Look at the popularity graph of the topic and note down the related queries that are provided in the bottom right section of the page.
- Evaluate the popularity of the related queries that are relevant to your topic in order to make one selection.
- Use the selected keyword to find the lists on Google Keyword Planner as well as SEMRush.
- Download the list of keywords in Excel format.
- Calculate the average of the competition and the volume of every relevant option.
- Select the keywords with the top average values.
Learn more about keyword research and targetting:
- Perfect Guide On Useful Keyword Research For SEO
- Long Tail Keywords: How To Find And Target Them Effectively
2. Write a comprehensive content
When you have your keywords ready, focus on creating a content piece that completely satisfies the intent of those keywords. Provide a comprehensive knowledge of the required information in your content. For that, you need to cover all the points associated with that topic, showcasing your own expertise.
Learn to write unique content:
3. Check for grammar mistakes
As you have already installed Grammarly, it shouldn’t take long to check and fix all the grammar mistakes. Grammarly also provides other writing assistance that will help to improve the quality of your content. You can enhance the appeal of the phrases and make sentences much better to read.
4. Examine for duplication and plagiarism
After fixing the grammar related problems, you can check the content in Copyscape to ensure the originality. If you have used an in-depth research and your own words, then, there is a little chance of getting the issue of duplication or plagiarism.
- Insert your text in the duplicate content checker of Copyscape and run the evaluation.
- Check the percentage of the duplicate content.
- Fix the duplicate content sections if the percentage is higher than 2 to 5 percent.
5. Get your readability report using Yoast SEO
Now, your content is free of all grammar and duplicate content issues. It is the right time to move towards Yoast plugin for WordPress SEO.
The Yoast SEO plugin offers readability report for your text in the content analysis tab. The green, orange, and red bullets make it easier to understand the report. Orange and red suggest the adjustments required in the content. So, you need to ensure that every signal is green in color.
Here is how you can conduct the readability evaluation in Yoast SEO for WordPress site:
- Copy your content piece in the backend of WordPress.
- Click on the tab that says content analysis in the plugin.
- See the analysis report for the word usage, Flesh reading convenience, content length, sentence length and others.
- Evaluate the readability factors that have orange or red signals.
- Make changes in the content to resolve the readability problems.
- Click again on the content analysis section for final readability report.
After ensuring that all the factors have green signals, you can then move to the SEO analysis.
6. Tell Yoast about your focus keyword
For the SEO analysis, you need to go to the SEO tab provided in the content analysis section. There you can provide the focus keyword that you desire to target with your content. This focus keyword is the one that you researched at the beginning of the process.
If you have the free version of the plugin, it allows SEO optimization of one focus keyword for a particular post. However, the premium version offers the help for multiple focus keyword targeting in one content piece.
7. Create an engaging meta description
The Meta description is the next requirement you need to fulfill. It is the small piece of text that appears on the search result just below the title and address of your web page. The purpose of the meta description is to inform and attract the potential visitors to click the link. Hence, the engaging quality matters the most.
Here is how you can create an engaging meta description:
- Describe your content in two or three sentences using words associated with the benefits of reading that piece.
- Include the focus keyword in an exact manner, so that, Google doesn’t replace the meta description with any random text in your content.
- Don’t write too long or false statements. Be simple and true to the potential visitors.
8. Optimize according to the obtained WordPress SEO report
The next thing you see is a detailed SEO report presented for your content. This report also has the same format of green, orange and red signals. The keyword placement in the right locations, content length, and link associated suggestions come along, in this report.
The tool checks the placement of the focus keyword in the following locations in your content:
- In the title of the content piece
- In the URL of the content
- In the content body and the subheadings within a certain percentage
- In the meta description of the content piece
- In the ALT tag provided in the attached images
Here is how you need to use this WordPress SEO report provided in the SEO analysis tab:
- Read the suggestions that come with orange or red signals. Think about the adjustments that can help you turn them into green signals.
- Make those SEO changes to gain the maximum amount of green signals.
- Don’t compromise the content quality to fulfill SEO requirements. Having one or two minor problems won’t harm your post in terms of SEO.
- Make sure that all the keyword placement locations have been covered.
9. Prepare the content for social engagement
Yoast SEO in WordPress allows you to prepare metadata for the social engagement of the content. For that, you just need to provide the title, description, and an image. These will be used in all the social networks at the time of sharing the content.
Creating data for social engagement also requires the similar traits like the meta description. You need to focus on the engaging nature of the words to attract more audiences.
Yoast SEO WordPress makes it extremely convenient to create SEO-friendly posts. Fixing the minor limitations with the right tools gives you the ultimate ability to ensure the successful reach of every post you create.
With the complete WordPress SEO guide provided here, you will surely attain better results by using Yoast plugin on a daily basis.